Home Security Facts and Tips: What You Need to Know
Home Security Facts: Why ADT?
- A burglary occurs in the United States every 14 seconds. That's more than 4 burglaries per minute, on average! Home security helps you significantly reduce this risk by allowing your home to be monitored by security professionals 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- 85% of break-ins occur through primary doors, while the remaining 15% occur through windows. ADT home security equipment helps guard your home's major entryways so as to sound an alarm when someone tries to break in.
- Most burglaries occur between the hours of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. ADT home security monitoring helps protect your home when you're at the office or on vacation, so you can go about your life with peace of mind.
- Most burglars spend just 8-12 minutes in the home they're robbing. ADT's high decibel alarm is as loud as a police siren, so it draws as much attention as possible. And if the high-decibel alarm doesn't scare the burglars away, rest assured that ADT has dispatched your local police department to respond to the crime-in-progress.
Use home security tips to keep your home and family safe
While a home security service like ADT can be valuable in terms of protecting your home, your family and peace of mind, it can't replace your own attention to home safety. ADT home security monitoring is most effective when it is used in addition to solid home security habits.
Most burglars seek homes that are easy to target. Taking the necessary steps to make your home difficult to successfully break into is the best first step you can take simply because burglars may avoid your house in favor of an easier target.
Take initiative to protect your home from burglary
- Secure all doors and windows and ensure they are locked. This includes your garage door if you have one. Many burglars just walk right into unoccupied homes whose owners have either forgotten or intentionally left the door unlocked.
- Keep valuable objects out of plain view, and keep curtains and blinds in your home closed to avoid attracting burglars.
- Don't leave house keys in common areas like under doormats or flower pots. Bury your key in an inconspicuous location in your backyard so that you can dig it up if you ever need it.
- Leave a light on when you leave in the evenings so it appears that someone is home. If possible, also carpool or take as few cars as possible so that there is a vehicle in the driveway, leading the burglar to believe the home is occupied.
- Always arm your home security system when you come in for the night or before you leave the house each morning.
With ADT and a constant attention to home safety, helping to protect your home and your family from burglaries is possible. Learn more today about home security by calling 1-888-712-2390.